Biomarcadores salivares asociados a estrés

  1. Ana Isabel Álvarez Amaya
  2. Andrea Martín Vacas
  3. Marta Macarena Paz Cortés

ISSN: 1696-8077

Year of publication: 2023

Volume: 18

Issue: 2

Type: Article

More publications in: Biociencias


Introduction: Saliva is an organic fluid present in the oral cavity that contains 99% water and the remaining 1% are organic and inorganic components. Stress is an emotional feeling that produces physical tension and is also a factor of great importance asa cause of pathologies that are very common in today's society, such as depression or anxiety. It has been studied that in a situation of high stress there is an increase in both salivary and plasma levels of some chemical substances that can be quantitatively assessed, which are known as biomarkers.Objectives: To evaluate the correlation between salivary biomarkers and stress. To determine which ones present an imbalance of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes and the sympathetic nervous system and toanalyze them by studying the amount present in studies of humans subjected to external factors.Material and method: Bibliographic review of the literature selecting articles from the last 5 years using several scientific databases such as Pubmed, Medline, Google Scholar, Clinicalkey. Results: The most relevant biomarker found in saliva associated with stress analyzed in human studies, specifically in students and health professionals, is the increase in cortisol. Although it should be noted that more recent studies have also shown the importance of salivary alpha-amylase.Conclusions: Some of the biomarkers present in saliva that are associated with stress are cortisol, immunoglobulin A and alpha-amylase. In studies in humans subjected to external factors, cortisol has been the highest, followed by chromogranin A and salivary alpha-amylase. The best time for sample collection is early in the morning. Controlling and reducing stress can help to have a better quality of life.